What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small data file that is placed on your device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used in order to make websites work or work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information.
A cookie may have unique identifiers and reside, among other places, on your device, in emails we send to you, on the Platform, and on third-party sites using our plug-ins, widgets, embedded content, and pixels.
Cookies set by us are called "first-party cookies". Cookies set by parties other than us are called "third-party cookies." Third-party cookies enable features or functionality provided by third parties in connection with the Platform, for example, advertising, interactive features, and analytics. The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognize your device both when it visits our website in question and also when it visits certain other websites.
We use first-party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some are required for technical reasons in order for our Network to operate. Others provide a better experience on our Platform by remembering some of your activities on the Platform (including through our plug-ins, widgets, and embedded content). Other cookies enable more relevant advertising and better analytics.
Essential Cookies. Some cookies are required for the Platform to operate, for example, in the following ways:
- To identify you as being logged into the Platform
- To make sure you connect to the right service on our Platform when we make any changes to the way the Platform works.
Cookies for Features and Services. Some cookies provide a better experience on our Platform. For example, without cookies to remember some of your settings and activities on our Platform, the following functionality may become unavailable:
- Adding purchases to your cart and remembering the products you have added
- Remembering settings you have applied, such as layout, text size, preferences, and colors
- Remembering if you already have viewed or engaged with particular content on the Platform to avoid showing these items to you again
Cookies for Analytics and Personalization. Some cookies collect information about how you use the Platform to help us improve how our Platform is being used, and to help us understand what may interest you so that we may personalize your experience accordingly. These cookies, for example:
- Generate statistics on how the Platform is used, including to measure any errors that occur or to obtain data on the number of users of the Platform that have taken certain actions
- Test different designs for the Platform
- Help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded
- Collect or transmit information about you, such as your browser type and search preferences, and your use of the Platform or third-party sites that incorporate part of the Platform
These cookies perform functions like measuring the performance of ads, preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed, and in some cases, making predictions about your preferences and delivering ads both on and off our Platform that are more relevant based on your visits to our Platform and other sites. These cookies, for example:
- Provide feedback to advertising partners that one of their visitors also visited the Platform
- Provide our advertisers with data relating to ads that have been displayed to you or that you have clicked on, and the date and time of your use
- Are used to show you relevant advertising both on and off of the Platform
- Are used to understand what actions you take on the Platform after receiving our advertising
To learn more about how you may opt-out of receiving interest-based advertising from participating businesses, advertising networks, and advertising partners, please see the “How I can control cookies” section.
How can I control cookies?
In addition, you can opt-out of the collection of any information through cookies for interest-based advertising purposes by businesses participating through the European Interactive Digital Advertising, the U.S. Network Advertising Initiative, the U.S. Digital Advertising Alliance, or the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada. Please visit these organizations' opt-out pages to learn about how you may opt out of receiving web-based personalized ads from participating businesses. You also can access any settings offered by your mobile operating system to limit ad tracking or install the AppChoices app to learn more about how you may opt out of receiving personalized ads in mobile apps. Please note that if you opt-out from interest-based advertising through these organizations’ tools:
- Cookies may still be used to collect data for purposes other than interest-based advertising, including analytics, and you may still see online ads from us, but the ads will not be targeted based on behavioral information about you and thus, may be less relevant to you and your interests.
- Your opt-out will only apply to the web browser from which you opt-out. You must opt-out from each web browser from which you do not want interest-based advertising (and this may involve different devices, if you use more than one).
- If you delete or clear your browser’s cookies, you will need to opt-out again.
More information about cookies
If you wish to contact us with any questions or concerns, please contact us via our Contact Us Form.
- Useful information about cookies can also be found here.
- A guide to behavioral advertising and online privacy has been produced by the internet advertising industry and can be found here.
- Information on the ICC (UK) UK cookie guide can be found on the ICC website section here.
- A guide to Canadian Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioural Advertising can be found on the DAAC website here.
Effective April 27, 2022